In A Moment...

A bubbly, newbie teacher and baby Christian who loves to laugh!

Sunday, June 18, 2006

A Man of Many Hats




Many of you who follow the dynasty know who my dad is. To some he is an uncle or a brother-in-law. He is also a husband and a son-in-law. He is a grandpa (or Papa) and a father-in-law. For many, he is simply known as Curmudgeon Central. For my sister and me, he is Dad.

Growing up my father's daughter, I have had more that just a dad. He is my dad, and a great one at that, but there is so much more to him. Over the last 25 years, he has played many roles in my life. Here are some of the hats he wears.

My Father the Teacher
Growing up, my dad was always teaching me things. He taught me how to brush my teeth, and braid my doll's hair. He taught me how to make macaroni and scrambled egg sandwiches the good way. I learned from him how to play both solitaire and pool. He even taught me how to play chess, although I have never beat him. He showed me exactly where to stand in order to bowl a strike every time (it doesn't work). As I got a little older he taught me how to drive a car, clean a fish, and swing a golf club (and actually make contact). The list of things my dad has taught me over the years is endless.

My Father the Coach
When I was real little, I played pee-wee softball, even though I was terrible at it. One day before a game, my dad spent about an hour doing batting practice with me. The first time I went up to bat that day, I remembered what he taught me, and actually managed to hit the ball. God must have been looking out for me that day, because as I ran around the bases the other team over-threw the ball at every single one. As I rounded third and headed home, my dad was standing there waiting to congratulate me. Even though it was my first (and last) home run, and it was due entirely to the other team's lack of throwing and catching abilities, my dad was proud of me, and that was all that mattered.

My Father the exterminator
I am 25 years old, and as most of you know, I am terrified of spiders. Well, I did not have to kill my own spider until I was 19 and living in my first apartment. (I did call him, but he refused to drive from Denver to Grand Junction to kill it for me). Growing up, all I had to do was yell "Daddy, it's huge!" and he would come running with a tissue. A few years ago I found out that he isn't real fond of 8-legged critters, either. Now that's love!

My Father the Camp Counselor
At my elementary school it was tradition for the sixth graders to go to Eco-Week. This was a four day field trip during which we all stayed in cabins and learned about the outdoors. My dad went on this field trip when my sister's class went. I was heartbroken when it was my turn to go and Dad didn't have enough vacation time at work to go with my class. I begged and pleaded, but there was just no way around it. At some point I finally accepted it. However, a couple days before the big trip, my dad pulled me aside and let me know that everything had worked out, and he could go after all. I was ecstatic! It wasn't until a few weeks later that I found out that he had given up having Christmas day off in order to go. That Christmas when we all got up at 3am to open presents before Dad left for work, I was reminded of how big a sacrafice he had made for me.

My Father the Security Dude
When I was in the eighth grade, my dad's company hosted "Take Your Daughter to Work Day." My sister and I were both so excited. Not only did we get to skip an entire day of school and hang out with dad, we got to see what this Rocky Flats Dispatcher thing was all about. All we needed was a picture ID and we were set. Naturally, being 13 and even less organized than I am now, I could not find my school ID anywhere. I looked everywhere, but to no avail. I had to accept the fact that Krissy would get to go to work with Dad, and I would have to go to school. I was totally heartbroken and cried and cried. When the day of the event rolled around, and Krissy got up to go with dad and I got up to go to school, my dad surprised me with the best news ever. Somehow he had managed to work things out so that I could go with him without the picture ID, as long as I stayed with him. It seemed there was no limit to what he could do.

My Father the Hero
For most of my childhood and teenage years my dad was a firefighter. I thought this was a pretty cool job and I loved to brag about him. (I still love to brag about it - firefighters rock!) I guess I never really understood the extent of what he did. That is, until one day in the park with my sister and cousin. I will never forget the day the Farmer&Miner building caught on fire, one of the very worst the small town of Frederick has ever seen. The world seemed to move in slow motion as we stood on the top of the tallest slide and watched my dad run in to a burning building. I was terrified for him that day, but also really proud. It was that day that I realized that my dad was not just a hero to my sister and me. He was a hero to a lot of people.

I could go on and on about the many other roles my dad has played in my life, but there is simply not enough time. I just wanted to let the world know on this special day what a wonderful man and father he is. I am truly blessed to be his daughter.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!


3 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Blogger Barb said...

Dad's going to come out of the office teary eyed and we're all going to have to pretend we aren't noticing it. I love it that you love him so much and that you know how truly blessed you are.

Everyone should click on the two bottom photos to see them up close. There was nothing Dad could say to me to convince me to get on the back of that Harley with him. You trust him so completely you never hesitated. And the look on his face in the golf photo is priceless.

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to Daddy.

xoxoxo

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Thank you Sweetheart. I am surprized and very moved at the things you remember.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Courtney said...

Hi Mandy: Your memories about your father are so touching! I'm sure it meant a lot to your father! I just thought I would post on your blog and thank you for stopping by mine! The book has been excellent so far - you should consider joining the study with the rest of us.

And congrats on being engaged! I was married last July and while I loved married life, the time of engagement is tons of fun - so enjoy it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home