In A Moment...

A bubbly, newbie teacher and baby Christian who loves to laugh!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #2


Thirteen Things I Love About Myself


So I was tagged yesterday. I knew I was tagged, because my mom told me I was tagged, but I actually did not touch the computer yesterday. A couple of reasons. First, I am living in a house with A Chelsea Morning, Flight Song, and Curmudgeon Central, with frequent visits from Missing Marbles. No further explanation needed. Second, I was two thirds away from finishing The Davinci Code, and could not even fathom putting it down until the last page had been read. Third, well, read the blog title - in a moment. This is just how I do things sometimes.

So, here I am, doing the Thursday Thirteen. Yes, I am aware it is Friday, but I cannot do a Friday Fourteen, because my mom did not give me an icon for Friday Fourteen. She gave me the icon for Thursday Thirteen, so that is what I am going to do. Actually, I did think it was Wednesday yesterday until about 4:00, but I do have my days straight now.

Well, here goes nothin'...

1. I love that I am somewhere between girly and gross. I do have girlish qualities. I love pink, baths are one of my favorite things, and I really do like to get dolled up every now and again. I can't stand spiders, and an insect that was born with wings, in my opinion, was a big joke on God's part. They are bad enough when they can't fly at you. I truly believe he chuckles ever time I squeal and do a tuck and dive when I hear a buzzing. However, I wear make-up sporatically, I shave my legs when I want to, my least favorite thing in the world is "getting ready", and I have no problem getting really dirty and staying that way for a while.

2. I love that I love to learn, and I love to teach myself. One of my favorite books is my Student Bible, so I can devour it on my own terms and at my own pace. My bookshelf is filled with self-help books, and I keep a copy of all of my third grade textbooks on my desk at home. I figure if I can get excited learning all this stuff, surely I can get my kids excited about learning it. I also love to learn new things from mom - every craft I do was learned from her.

3. I love that I am a born cheerleader, and will die a cheerleader. This was one of my more girly qualities. Many people are annoyed by it, especially when I accidentally do something "cheerleaderish." I love it. I am so unathletic, very clumsy, and somewhat of an intellectual. When someone finds out that I was a cheerleader for most of my life, and still coach it from time to time, they don't know how to take it.

4. I love that I am sentimental. This sets me far apart from my mom, the minimalist, and tends to make clutter a problem. This is not to say that my mom is not sentimental, because she very much is, but in a more organized fashion (scrapbooks). I cannot throw anything away. But I love that I can easily take a trip down memory lane by merely opening a box - cards, pictures, trinkets... Anything that ever meant anything to me is saved, and when I find it years later, it tends to mean even more to me.

5. I love that I am able to have a wonderful repoire with my students. One of my students wrote in my yearbook: "You have a very small brain." I love that I have taught them to be honest and tell me exactly what they think.

6. I love that I can't take things seriously. Sometimes this annoys people, but I just can't. I would rather laugh at a situation than take it seriously. I think it irritated my teaching team a little, especially regarding an all-important trip to the recycling center, but oh well.

7. I love that I can seriously stress. I know, this sounds like an oxymoron according to the one above it, but they kind of go together. After an extended period of time having not taken things seriously, I look up and realize "Oh boy, this is serious." Immediately I go into hyper-stress mode, and miraculously get a lot done. It has to be really piled up and a huge mess before I jump on it, but when I do, the mess doesn't stand a chance. After a few days of cranky, stressed-out, on the verge of tears me, it is all done, and I sit back, chuckle, and say "I just can't take this serioulsy."

8. I love that I am a fast learner. I tend to catch on to things quickly - the computer, crafts, third grade curriculum... I love figuring things out, especially new things. If I can't figure them out, I will keep at them endlessly until I do. There is nothing better than the satisfaction of finally conquering something that originally had you so stumped. I guess I am not really a fast learner, as much as a persistent one.

9. I love that I cannot walk and chew gum at the same time. Seriously, I can't. It falls right out of my mouth, and then I step in it. I like this, because it makes me truly special. Okay, so the term is thrown around a lot, but how many people can REALLY claim it literally. I can. I am one of a kind.

10. I love that I am a chatterbox. One day I grabbed the white board marker, and went up to the board to answer a student's question, and one of my girls actually said "are you going to talk again?" Ouch! But seriously, I love it. Know why? When I want quiet time to myself, and I grab a book or a pen, everybody is so thankful that I finally shut up, that they leave me alone. No interruptions! This has been a strategy I have used for years. "Hmm, I really want to finish that book, with no interruptions, so I am going to go in the kitchen and talk everybody's ear off for a while, so they will be afraid to interrupt me and get me going again..."

11. I love that I have small boobs. I can wear anything I want: it is easy to make them look bigger for a certain shirt, but making them smaller is nearly impossible. I can run around in my pajamas without worrying, I can run period. No pain in the bra strap for me! (Sorry, girls, I had to cheer for the other team).

12. I love that I am addicted to books. I spent an hour in Old Navy yesterday with my mom and grandma, and resisted spending a penny. I was in Pier One, and Michael's as well. I resisted. Then we went to Borders, and that was the end of me. I went in for one book that my principal recommended, and came out with 5. It is like going grocery shopping - never go hungry. When I walk into a bookstore, I am always hungry.

13. I love my ability to play. I know that there are times when I have to be serious and responsible and an adult, and I try really hard. But life is just more fun if you can play as hard as you work. When I do recess duty, I play. Field day was my favorite day of school this year. I love to color, play with my mom's puppy, and an amusement park is the best date you could ever take me on.

So, there you have it. Thirteen things about me. I already mentioned in a previous post just how uncool I am, so I am sure many of these will be no surprise. For those of you who may be embarrased for me, read my previous post.

13 Comments:

At 9:34 AM, Blogger Barb said...

"When I walk into a book store, I'm always hungry." I love that a lot. It cracks me up that you immediately head to the metaphysical department.

What a great (and very accurate) list! All thirteen of them are my favorite.

xoxoxoMom

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Leslie and I fell asleep (slumber party at Sarahs) last night talking about you and how much fun you are; that she's going to love reading your posts. Youre actually a lot alike, but I think (take this in the most loving terms) that you are a bit more weird. And she's weird. #1 - absolutely leslie. #2 student bible a favorite for her. #3 she was a cheerleader and still does cheers for her dad when shes home. #4 sentimental packrat - she wins the prize for most keepsake boxes in the basement. Kids move out-stuff stays...22 boxes of stuff... a few differences but you can sure tell youre the daughters of sisters. Cant wait til you two actually get to see each other later this summer. xoxoxo

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Girl Raised in the South said...

shoot - did it again - that was not sarah, that was Aunt Bev. Sorry - you know what this computer sharing is like - not so slick...

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

It's okay Aunt Bev, we have a lot of bloggers here, too, so we all feel your pain. I miss all you guys so much, and I can't wait to see you. This whole blogging thing is a great way to keep in touch until then. I always loved having a "twin cousin." It's no surprise to me that we both ended up teachers.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Krissy said...

Wow, I love you and this is going to be fun! OK, I love that you were a born cheeleader because I loved teasing you about it even though I knew you were great at it. I seriously think I would have died laughing if I was there when your student told you you had a small brain. Kids say the darndest things, right!? #9- I would say that Mom does the same thing but I wouldn't know- I make her spit out her gum when she is with me because she's a smacker. :) Um- what's a prinical? OK, I know I am teasing you but this is truly a great list. I loved that you started this post by referring to us by our blogger names...that was great!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger My Purpose: said...

My long-lost twin! What fun to read your list! Mom is right, you know. We really do (still) have a lot in common! Oh, and I can completely relate to your kiddos saying such, um, personal things. On of my kids recently asked me if I was eating so much so that I could get even fatter! Yes, fatter. Classic, huh? The joys of teaching. I agree with you completely though- you might as well laugh it off!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Fun list! Does it mean I'm uncool if I think you're cool?

Hmmm. My husband thinks I'm weird because I think he's cool. Maybe I need to look that word up. ;)

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Leslie - I am so glad you are blogging! Yes, I have heard much worse than the small brain thing. It is lovely to have a kindred spirit in the family. Okay Krissy, this is the second time you have commented on my typos. I proofread twice! Apparently I should not be teaching the writing process. I am going back to edit this post...

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

By the way, Leslie, after all we have shared together through the years (25-can you believe it) I am heatbroken that I don't get to see you pregnant.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Krissy- there, it's fixed. It is now p-r-i-n-c-p-a-l. happy? By the way - keep in mind that every time I tried out for the cheerleading or dance team, you were the one that made up my routine. I would not have made the college squad if you had not choreographed my moves at 2am.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Judith said...

Mandy, I truly understand your not jumping off the sofa in the early morning hours, and greeting the day like those "morning" people do. It's the only way people like you and I can keep a part of ourselves all to ourselves. Life will go on and things will get done, just not so early!. It is so great that you seemed to have no problem thinking up thirteen reasons you like yourself. Would that more people did. I loe you, Grandma.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Krissy said...

Mandy- you crack me up!!! You still spelled it wrong...am I putting the pressure on ya or something? Oh man, that was funny when I saw that you spelled it all out and everything. :)

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Y'all are too funny. Big sisters never change, do they?

Mandy, I bet no one would say anything if you poked her in the eye.

Not that I'm advocating violence or anything. Just sayin'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home