In A Moment...

A bubbly, newbie teacher and baby Christian who loves to laugh!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

I've Caught the "Bug"

I am not fond of the internet. To be more exact, I am not fond of technology in general. I enjoy doing things the old way, it feels safe. For example, when I write things using a pencil and a piece of paper, I do not have to worry about my work suddenly disappearing into cyberspace never to be recovered. I do not have to worry about it suddenly being reformatted into some illegible sequence of letters and symbols. I do not have to resave every few minutes just to be safe. I have had two computers die on me (one right in the middle of my on-line teaching classes). I do not like computers, and they (apparently) do not like me.

For this reason, when my mother called me a little over a week ago and told me she had a blog, my first response was, "A what? Is it contagiuos?" After she explained what it was, my next response was to write down her address, set it aside, and go back to grading papers. When she continued to ask me about what I thought of it, and I was running out of excuses as to why I had not had a chance to look yet, I decided I had better just comply and give it a peek. I finally did about a week ago.

Since then, I have let my grading pile up so high I fear I will never get through it all by the end of the school year; I completely forgot about midterms and sent them home a week late; I have not gotten to bed before midnight yet this week; I forgot to eat dinner Wednesday night; I completed my sub-plans for Monday at 6:15 Friday after school; I even forgot to bake the cupcakes I promised my class I would bring in on my birthday. (Thank God for thoughtful room mothers with baking abilities.) To make a long story short, I became addicted to reading the blogs posted by my mom, aunt, and cousin. I immediately found out that I could not yet post comments, and so here I am, creating my own blog. (Yes, it is contagious.)

So here I am. In a Moment... It took me a while to think of a name, but chose this one for a number of reasons. I got the name from a Hilary Duff song, Fly. The opening lyrics to this song are: "In a moment, everything can change, feel the wind on your shoulder. For a minute, all the world can wait, let go of your yesterday." These words, and the song in general, are so fitting of my life right now. I listen to it when I feel like I am losing my grip, and I am immediately calmed. Looking up and realizing that not one aspect of your life today is even remotely the same as it was a year ago is unnerving. I love my life now, but sometimes have trouble letting go of my yesterday.

Another reason for this title choice is my undeniable ability to procrastinate. (See above paragraph about the midterms and grading.) I often joke about "why do today what can be put off til tomorrow?" I tend to see many things as capable of being done in a moment, after I finish this one. I can't help it, I juggle too many balls sometimes, but I always manage to get things done. I also find it therapeutic - I am quickly learning how to handle stress.

Last, but not least, I chose this title on account of a phrase I am famous for in my family: "Okay, just a moment." It doesn't matter what I am asked to do, it can be coming to the table because dinner is ready, run to the garage and get something for mom, get my jeans because mom is doing laundry, come to the phone, its for you...the list goes on. My classic response is "Okay, in a moment." I don't do it consciously, it just happens. It is not my fault I am always in the middle of something. I am not a sitter. I can't just sit. I am always doing something. So, when you ask me to do something, there is a good chance that I will need to come to a "stopping point," before I comply. Sorry.

So here is my first post. Mom and Aunt Bev, I know you have been waiting patiently for me to get this far. I am sorry for the delay, I just needed a moment. After reading the posts of both you and Sarah, I have come to realize that I come from a line of very gifted (and funny) writers. I sense a memoir being published soon. I look forward to joining this legacy.

10 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Hi Sweetie!

So how hard was that? You couldn't do this two days ago when I asked you to, right?

I love it. Welcome aboard!

xoxoxo
Mom

PS I love your blog spot - so pink!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

Mandy - I don't know if you got my post from yesterday when you were just getting started, so I'll just say again - Welcome to blogging!

Barb - spoken like a true mom.

What a fun family!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Mandy, we are, too. I look forward to reading more!!xoxo

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

And Aunt Bev, who is here reading over my shoulder, loved hearing from you. As soon as I bring the computer back from the hospital, she'll blog herself. :)

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Judith said...

Mandy,I checked for your blogspot earlier, but found only PINK. Now all I can say is, Looks like you made it, oh....... Mandy! But we do need to talk about this "in a moment" problem. What appears to be procrastination is simply your creative mind slowing down long enough to express itself. I'm your grandma, and I'm right. You did it well today, and I so look forward to more. P.S. You look good in pink.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger boomama said...

Y'all are about the cutest family I've ever seen. Welcome to blogging, Mandy!

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Thanks guys! I was so nervous about getting started! I have been reading my family's blogs for a few days now, and I have loved reading the comments. Now that I am getting my own, I am really excited! Thanks for the encouragement!

Sarah - you're not really going to blog while you're in labor are you?

xoxoxo

Good luck, Sarah! I will be praying for you tonight! I can't wait to find out the name!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

didnt you love your grandmas corny comments - using barry manilows lyrics - very cute.

I loved your writing re the lyrics from Fly - your view of life. Sarah was mesmerized to "see" this mandy. she hasnt seen you since you were a teen and she was so amazed to see the lovely young woman youve obviously grown into.

i cant wait to hear what you have to say - all families should blog - you cant interrupt each other, you listen intently, you share your souls. it doesnt get better than that. write write write. you'll thrill your grandma and the rest of us will love it too.

PS Im pretty sure Sarah will NOT be blogging the next 24 hours - thank you for praying for her, Chris and this precious new baby. I promise to shout through cyberspace the minute we get the all clear and the name, finally. I saw her sweet bedroom tonight - soft dusty pink, little bunnies everywhere - and oh my the baby clothes. Uncle Don swears she already owns more clothes than he does. xoxoxo

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

I agree 100% with you, Aunt Bev. All familiies should blog. I felt the same way when I started reading your blogs - like I was seeing a side of everyone I had never seen. (Even my mom, and I spend, like, every weekend at her house.) I think people are just more open when they are writing - they don't have to worry about the immediate reaction of whomever they are talking to. I also enjoy getting daily updates on the lives of those family members who I don't get to see and talk to as often as I would like.

By now Sarah should be well into labor, as it is late late. I hope all goes well, and I will continue to pray for everyone, especially baby girl and mommy.

Love you lots!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Judith said...

Mandy, I am so eager for whatever you write next. I love you, GrandMa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home